It’s Tuesday and that means today’s featured grilled cheese sandwich is Sam’s Special. Turkey and brie on cranberry pecan bread. Yes, it is as good as it sounds! According to the rocket scientists at Wikipedia, “Tuesday is a day of the week occurring after Monday and before Wednesday”. I guess that’s what they get paid the big bucks for, right? Looking forward to seeing you today, the clouds are clearing and we’ll be pushing a high of 20 by lunch time. Happy Tuesday!
It’s me, The Count and I’m back today doing a special appearance for Mom….AH, AH, AHHH! Today’s number is 5. Why you may ask? Because this week we are blogging every day (that’s 5 days, in case you didn’t connect the dots) about the daily specials at Moms, AH,AH, AHHH!
The letter of the day is M and today’s special….Meatloaf Monday……the letter M, get it….. AH,AH, AHHH! A hearty slice of homemade meatloaf surrounded by melted mozzarella and marinara sauce on crusty French bread. Mmmmmmmmm! If you feel like exploring the dark side of The Count’s life and what I love to do, enjoy this little musical number:
1. If you Google “grilled cheese Vancouver”, Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck turns up in the top 3 results and is mentioned in 6 of the first page results. Cool!
2. Cheese consumption in the US has tripled since 1970 and is continuing to increase. Pictured is Cheez Whiz. Keeping it classy.
3. On April 12th (National Grilled Cheese Day), grilled cheese was the 6th most Tweeted about topic on Twitter globally.
4. Regarding Mom’s new spring/summer menu, the most asked question is “do you still have the meatloaf grilled cheese?”. Yes.
5. According to the British Cheese Board, Britain has approximately 700 distinct local cheeses.
6. The world’s largest consumers of cheese per person is Greece (63 pounds per person each year). Canadians average 26 pounds.
7. Pizza Hut uses about 300 million pounds of cheese per year.
8. There are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses!
9. Kraft Singles and other packaged cheeses includes additives, chemicals and flavorings that account for up 49 percent of the total product.
10. Mom’s does not use Kraft Singles.
11. Fromunda Cheese is not sold in a store.
It’s a beautiful sunny day today, get yourself down to Mom’s at Howe & Robson for a grilled cheese, or possibly one of our new un-grilled summer sandwiches with an old fashion Pop Shoppe. Happy Monday!
To check in on where Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck is and our other fantastic street food vendors, download the Street Food App from iTunes here
A special shout-out and thank you to Karl Gregg of Two Chefs. In this months June 2012 special edition 45th Anniversary Vancouver Magazine (print version) Rebecca Philps did an article called Vancouver’s Best Cheap Eats 2012 a guide to the city’s best-value, mind-blowingly delicious meals. Within the print version (not online for some reason), Karl Gregg has his own special feature called Chefs’ Picks, where he compliments and recommends our “highfalutin comfort food”. Thanks again Karl. Pick up a copy of Vancouver Magazine, there are some great eating tips by Rebecca and Karl.
Cindy may even be wearing a birthday dress similar to the one she wore in her 1st birthday picture. What woman doesn’t love to wear a fluffy polyester/acrylic blend with built in leotard and have her feet stuffed into tight white slippers? Here is a birthday tip, she loves hugs, red wine and chocolate.
The best ever grilled cheese guys!!
Mom’s new spring/summer menu is out. We have mixed things up a little bit and added a few new items as well. You can see it all on the Menu Tab above. What’s new you may wonder? Mom’s Kool Aid, sorry, it’s not like the killer Kool Aid you drank in University. Kool Aid! Kool Aid! Tastes great! Kool Aid! Kool Aid! Can’t wait! I’m dating myself.
We’ve also added the Un-Grilled summer sandwiches! One is the Mom’s Tuna Salad, white flaked tuna mixed with fresh dill, spring onions and celery on soft whole wheat or white. The Geeze is new too, a melt in your mouth egg salad made with free range eggs and spring onions on soft whole wheat or white. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. This weeks weather forecast actually looks respectable, it’s a miracle! Get yourself down here to try our new menu items this week. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again……..there has to be a reason why we are lined up every day. Come find out why.